Run the Race
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up."
Hebrews 12:1-3 NLT
There are so many things I love about this passage. It not only tells us that we are not alone, it also instructs us to run the race before us while also giving us a recipe for how to do that.
Read over this passage again (also the TPT - The Passion Translation) and prayerfully answer the following questions:
1. What weight is slowing you down (vs 1)?
2. Is there sin you're caught in that is tripping you up? Be honest with God about your struggle. This is a shame/guilt free zone.
3. TPT reads, "...let go of every wound that has pierced us". Is there hurt you need to let go of? Do you need to forgive someone?
4. We are instructed to run with endurance the race God has set before us. How do we do this? (hint: look at vs 2 in both NLT + TPT)
5. What does 'keeping your eyes fixed on Jesus" look like in your everyday life? Keep it simple and practical. Remember that you don't have to do it alone. You are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses and you have God Himself fighting for you.
6. How does Jesus enduring the cross make it possible to do what you wrote as your answer in #5?
Reflect on this passage, journal your thoughts, and PRAY.